Review: 2018 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Double Cab Super Long Bed V6 6AT 4WD
One of the toughest mid-sized pickups on the market, the 2018 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Double Cab Super Long Bed V6 6AT 4WD really gets going when the pavement runs out. If a gutsy off-road performance is a must for your next vehicle, Toyotas Tacoma 2018 is a definite A-lister. Better still, with an upgraded suspension and knobbed tires, this excellent utility vehicle comes complete with trail-blazer driving aids.
Always Ready for Adventure
Despite luxurious trims, even street-smart versions of the Toyota Tacoma carry a waft of the wild. All models share the higher step-up imposed by its off-road emphasis, with a slightly unusual seating position that might not be ideal for taller drivers, although offering adjustable back support.
Overall, its interior is thoughtfully laid out, with controls that can be quickly understood and used easily. The double cab has plenty of space up front, with ample legroom for all but the tallest people. Fabric-trimmed, the four-way adjustable front passenger seats are comfortable, despite limited movement resulting from the raised floor.
2018 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Second in the Brand Line-Up
Available in six trim levels, a plethora of available configurations means there’s a Toyota Tacoma that fits every need, over and above the SR entry-level workhorse that simply gets the job done. Here’s the line-up:
- SR5 – an extra value package with remote keyless entry, connected projector-beam LED headlights, a charcoal grille, 16-inch alloy wheels, skid plates, and a body-colour rear tailgate spoiler, with power outside mirrors on crew cab models and fog lamps on the 2011 V-6-powered models, with a six-speed transmission, a ten-way power driver’s seat; Entune Audio Plus with a 6.1-inch high-resolution touchscreen display, Navigation Scout GPS Link App; and three USB ports;
- TRD Sport – well-equipped and very popular, its interior is identical to the off-road variant;
- TRD Off-Road – although looking the same as the TRD Sport, hardware differences make this variant more capable, when roads get rockier.
- Limited – more street-oriented, this was once the top-of-the-line; it was supplanted by the
- TRD Pro – fully equipped and ultra-capable off-road machine.
A member of the third Tacoma generation that was introduced in 2016, the 2018 Toyota Tacoma double cab long bed is 187.2 centimetres long, compared to a regular bed measuring 153.7 centimetres.
Designed for Comfort and Confidence
All 4WD Tacomas clearly reflect the emphasis on design at Toyota. Consequently, their composite beds are packed with smart cargo management features. Other useful features include plenty of nooks for storing small items in and around the cab.
Steering and handling with unshakeable confidence, its V6 engine, and automatic transmission ensure a smooth and relaxing ride. For families, child seat fittings are designed for front-facing seats and boosters. Other notable benefits include
- easily understood controls in the cab;
- rugged off-pavement performance;
- movable tie-down cleats in the composite truck bed, plus a power outlet;
- six-speed manual transmission that can be paired with a top-level V6.
Voted one of the best mid-size trucks in 2018, the 2018 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Double Cab Super Long Bed V6 6AT 4WD easily holds its own against some tough competition. More rugged than the Honda Ridgeline, it offers some innovative storage options, with all the practicality of a pickup. Similar in size to a Chevy Colorado (which is basically a scaled-down Silverado), its double cab includes an impressive number of creature comforts. They include heated seats, a seven-inch touchscreen, a wireless smartphone charging device, and a sunroof.
Safety First in the 2018 Toyota Tacoma SR5
All 2018 Toyota Tacoma SR5 models are equipped with the Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) system. This includes:
- Pre-Collision System with pedestrian detection issues alerts when collisions with people or vehicles are imminent, braking automatically if the driver fails to react quickly enough;
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Sway Warning System (SWS);
- Automatic Emergency Braking Systems are standard on most Toyota models.
- Automatic High Beams (AHB);
- High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC).
- Blind Spot Monitoring that issues an audio or visual warning if the driver starts to change lanes as a vehicle is approaching rapidly driving in the blind spot;
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alerts warn the driver when traffic approaches from the side well backing out of an angle perpendicular parking space; and
- Backup camera on the tailgate handle that sends pictures of what’s behind the vehicle to the available 8-in. high-resolution display.
Perfect Pick for a Mid-Size Pickup
This high-value, high-style truck has been a bestseller for eleven years in its category, costing between $30,000 and $40,000. Tough enough for off-roading adventures, but comfortable enough for daily commutes, the 2018 Toyota Tacoma SR5 ticks all the boxes for most midsize truck fans
Looking For Quick & Easy Financing?
We know how to find the best vehicle for your situation, and have you leave the lot with a smile on your face.Apply now!