Review of the 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan
Designed for the city, but comfortable on the open road, the 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan is a stand-out among compact SUVs. Regardless of its sporty look, it’s a comfortable ride over even the bumpiest roads.
Despite its 2018 makeover, the 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan still includes a few minor upgrades, focused mainly on comfort and safety. While a front-wheel drive is standard, all-wheel drive models on higher trims have an available third row of seating.
Carrying seven people in all, the first two rows are spacious enough for even the tallest passengers. The more compact third row is perfect for shorter family members, like older kids and pets.
Using soft-touch materials, its functional interior is well laid out, following the long-established Volkswagen tradition. Another German tradition is its durability, with a VW Tiguan easily lasting 200,000 miles and more.
This confidence in its workmanship is reflected in the 2019 VW Tiguan warranty. It is certainly among the best in its class: six years or 72,000 miles
Annual outlays on repairs average out at $730, with a 12% chance of severe problems and unscheduled garage trips happening less than once a year. Moreover, its five-year costs for maintenance, repairs, insurance, and fuel are below average for its class, making this SUV an attractive investment.
This is a sensible choice for a second-hand car, with an excellent safety score and an above-average reliability rating of four on a scale of five. Available in six trims – S, SE, SEL, SEL R-Line, SEL Premium, and SEL Premium R-Line – the 2019 VW Tiguan has something for everyone.
Spoilt for Choice in the 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan
All its models are fitted with 17-inch alloy wheels, eight-speed automatic transmission, and a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder. This produces 184 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque.
Here’s a list of what else buyers can expect with each trim:
- Volkswagen Tiguan S: standard cloth upholstery, rear-view camera, and a 6.5-inch touch-screen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, six-speaker stereo, Bluetooth, and a USB port;
- Volkswagen Tiguan SE: proximity keyless entry, dual-zone automatic climate control, voice recognition, HD and satellite radio, 8-inch touch screen, and two additional USB ports; heated front seats, power-adjustable driver’s seat, leatherette upholstery, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel; automatic emergency braking, forward collision warning, blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and pedestrian detection.
- Volkswagen Tiguan SEL: remote start, adaptive cruise control, power liftgate, panoramic sunroof, front and rear parking sensors, and a digital instrument cluster;
- Volkswagen Tiguan SEL R-Line: all the SEL features, enhanced by unique body pieces and larger alloy wheels;
- Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium: leather upholstery, driver’s seat memory settings, heated steering wheel, hands-free power liftgate, LED headlights, and a nine-speaker Fender premium stereo; additional active safety features include automatic high-beam headlights, surround-view parking camera system, lane keep assist, lane departure warning, and rain-sensing windshield wipers.
- Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium R-Line: SEL Premium trim features with unique design elements from the R-Line.
Massive Cargo Capacity
The 37.6 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats reaches 73.5 cubic feet when folded down. Consequently, the two-row Tiguan has more cargo capacity than almost all other compact SUVs. The three-row version offers twelve cubic feet of cargo space behind its third-row seats, 33 cubic feet behind the second row, and 65.7 cubic feet with both rows of rear seats folded down.
Peace of Mind for Parents
The 2019 Tiguan can hold three child seats. It has two sets of rear latch car-seat connectors for the outer seats and a top tether for the middle seat. In brief, this latch system was rated as Acceptable for ease of use by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. It also rated this SUV as a Top Safety Pick+.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration awarded the VW 2019 Tiguan 5/5 stars in the side crash test. Additionally, it earned four stars for the rollover test. With this kind of safety-focused design, there’s no doubt that the 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan is a great option for growing families on the move.
Looking For Quick & Easy Financing?
We know how to find the best vehicle for your situation, and have you leave the lot with a smile on your face.Apply now!